15 March 2009

Louisiana Saturday Night

I have been so bad about writing the past couple of weeks! I was a bridesmaid in a wedding yesterday, and it had me busier and a little more stressed out than I thought I would be. Matt and I left Thursday morning for Ville Platte, Louisiana, where my friend Melissa was getting married. Melissa and I know each other from middle school where we met in choir. One of the things that kept us together as friends was playing softball in high school (she was pretty stinking amazing, and I was not so good!) She played softball in college, and eventually ended up at LSU where she met her sweetie Lucas.

The last three days were a total blast! They rented out cabins at Chico State Park, and we got to sleep over a swamp (and see an alligator). The view was pretty cool. On Thursday we had the rehearsal and ate a wonderful dinner at The Jungle. Friday we got our nails done and had a crawfish boil that evening. I've had crawfish before, but having a Louisianan boil it in front of me seemed to make it a lot better! The wedding on Saturday was beautiful, and the reception was pretty crazy! Going to Louisiana is like visiting another world, it was so much fun.
I don't know if you have any friends that you've held onto from middle or high school, but there's a special bond that remains when you've had a friend that long. Melissa and I are very different people than we were back in school, but we still love each other so much! I don't know how to describe it, but it's a very cool feeling. What is also very cool is the fact that Melissa kept me in mind when she was planning the date of her wedding. She knows that Matt and I are moving, and she was sure to have her wedding when she knew we were not either on our survey trip or already gone. I have to say, I felt quite honored by that! I will be better about writing now that we're back in town. Here's a pic of me and the beautiful bride.


No comments: