19 March 2009

At the beach...in Granbury, Texas?!?

After that wedding I wrote about the other day, I have had quite a few wonderful days off. Not only did I get to see my dad and stepmom at that wedding in Louisiana, but I got to spend a few days with my mom in Dallas on Sunday and Monday. Sunday we spent a few hours together before she went to work, and then I watched movies ALL day long while she was gone. It rocked, I had a whole day to myself with no important things to do! That might sound like the worst day ever, but I love to be by myself. On Monday we ran around all day and then had dinner with family and friends that night as an early birthday celebration for me. After that my mom graciously drove me to Granbury, where Matt was staying for work training. On Tuesday morning he had a few more hours of training to do, so yet again I had the morning to myself. I went to the beach. You heard me right, in Granbury, Texas I walked across the parking lot of the hotel and laid out on the beach. Okay, so it was a man made beach on part of Lake Granbury, but it was pretty stinking cool anyway. I got the sand without the stink and humidity of the ocean, and saw ducks swimming in the water. That freaked my brain out!
One of the coolest things about hanging out at the beach was that I had the most amazing opportunity to worship God that morning. I did what I seem to do best when I'm laying out in the sun...I fell asleep. (Okay, so really if I sit or lay in any one position for more than five minutes I fall asleep, but that's beside the point) I awoke to the most wonderful sound of children laughing. When I first went down to the beach I was alone, but sometime between me falling asleep and waking back up, all these parents with their kids came out of the woodwork and came down to the beach. There were at least fifteen kids ranging from two to twelve running around. They were so beautiful with their giggling voices, jumping in puddles up on the sand and running along the shore. They laughed and smiled as they showed their moms (no dads that day) different things that they picked up or built in the sand. There were blond haired heads, red haired heads, and brown haired heads running around enjoying life. Sitting there watching them I spent time enjoying the presence of God, because I know He was right there with me. Jesus really loved kids, and I think it's because when you look at a child you can see more of the image of God than when you look at a worn out adult. That might sound strange, but I really think it's true. Granted some kids have had a harder life than I can imagine before they even turn five, but for the most part children can run, laugh, and play with a sense of innocence that adults slowly lose as the evil of the world knocks us down again and again. That morning I smiled a lot as I watched those little children enjoy the beauty of the day that God granted us with.

No comments: