09 February 2009

I'm proud of my husband

My husband Matt sent me this video today, and I think it's worth sharing. Firefighting is a way of life in our home, for those of you who don't know Matt is a volunteer firefighter. He loves it, and has become really knowledgeable in it. I sure hope so anyway, because he now sells fire equipment! Really though, he knows his stuff, and is always learning new things.
I love the fact that Matt does this, I am very proud to know that his main hobby is to help people in need. Sometimes people ask me if I worry about him when he goes out on calls and such, but as morbid as it sounds, if he died at a fire or helping with an accident somewhere then I would be so proud of him for meeting our maker because he laid down his life to help someone else.
Not that him being a volunteer firefighter does not have its stressful moments. I'm sure many would disagree with me, but I think there's an added level of stress when you're the wife of a volunteer firefighter over a paid firefighter. When your spouse is paid to do this, you know when their shift starts and ends. With Matt, his shift never ends! As you'll see in the video, I've woken up at 3am to the sound of the tones going off. We've also pulled into the parking lot of a restaurant just to turn around and drive to the station because of a call. I've also heard some sad, sad stories and seen my husband torn up about not being able to help someone in need. This isn't your Tuesday night bowling club, that's for sure. Here's the video, it really hit home for me and I hope it gives you a little better understanding of why I'm so proud of my husband.

No comments: