20 February 2009

Housekeeping

I thought the last two weeks had been kind of ho-hum for our team, but looking back I realized that the things we did were exactly what I should be talking about. I'm sorry if you find this entry boring, but it shows the day to day reality of preparing to move to another country!
Tuesday night Jenica and I met up for our "date" night. Last semester we were really good about meeting up every week, but this semester it's been a little more sporadic. I really like meeting with just Jenica, because there's something about spending time with the other woman on the team that is really encouraging. We get to talk about stuff that we wouldn't normally talk about with the guys around, and it's refreshing! No offense Matt and Gregory....
Wednesday night Matt and Gregory were out of town, so Jenica and I went to the library to do some "housekeeping". We got together a very rough budget for Jenica, so when she talks to possible supporters she will have an idea of how her expenses add up. We then spent some time looking online at our visa options. One we looked at is a religious workers visa, it has a lot of criterion but I think we can meet them. That visa requires the help of a church already established in Ipswich, and there is one there that might be able to fill that role. Whichever way we end up getting there, it will take a lot of faith on our part and miraculous working on God's part! He's done so much to bring us to this point though, I believe He will continue to do some pretty awesome stuff to get us where we need to be.
This Monday I didn't have work. One of the perks of working for the state is that you get all sorts of holidays off that most other people don't! The team met for lunch, and had a really nice time just catching up. It was a much different pace than our usual task oriented meetings, which was great!
This Wednesday was the last time this week that "the big move" really hit me. We were watching Lost with our friends Wes and Ellen, they got married seven months after us, and they are our best married couple friends. They are on a team that will be moving to Conception, Chile in a few years. Birds of a feather stick together I suppose! Anyway, Wednesday evening they brought up the fact that we will be leaving in under a year, and they didn't like that very much! In all seriousness though, talking about what we're doing to prepare, what we haven't even thought about yet, etc. really threw me for a loop. We have a lot to do to get ready, and sometimes it seems like ten months is plenty of time while at other times ten months seems like no time at all. Needless to say, I'm now working on my blog at 10:49 pm, Matt is working on the website, and our team will be getting together on Sunday night to do some more preparation and prayer!

No comments: