20 April 2010

Friends and Enemies

Most people have them, but they look a little different. I have them in Hawaii, Abilene, Thailand, Australia, Georgia, and other places around the world. They're friends, really important friends...the kind of friends that I have a very special bond with. This is the bond that people share when they leave it all behind and move to another country to tell their new friends and neighbors about God. I know most of these people because we trained through the Halbert Institute for Missions together. Because of this, we've cried together, laughed together, learned about other countries, and learned a lot about one another. I don't talk to all of them on a regular basis, but I do talk to God about them on a regular basis. However, whenever we talk to one another through skype or email it's like we were never separated. Why is this? I think it's because we're traveling on the same journey. Some are preparing to go to or are already in other countries, but our purpose is the same. We've left the same things behind and are making the same sacrifices. We're all living lives of great uncertainty (I know, who isn't), and that creates one strong bond!
For example, last Saturday some friends of mine who are moving to Russia did a little fund raising dinner. I went to it because I have not seen them in quite a few months, and missed them! Also I know the prep that goes behind a dinner like that, and the disappointment that comes with an invited person not bothering to show up. We ate great food, heard about what they will be doing in Russia, and then just sat around and talked as they met with different people. After my friend walked around for a while, it was my turn to chat with her. She sat down and we talked about fund raising...not the most exciting topic of conversation for someone who is not moving to another country! We talked about the encouragement we have received from surprise donors, and the disappointment we have felt from those who we counted on that let us down. Then something interesting happened. I said, "Well, I guess you need to go catch up with other people", and she said, "Actually, it's really refreshing to sit and talk with someone who's going through the same stuff". That is so true! This whole moving to another country thing is not easy, even though some think we're just going to sit around in coffee shops and talk to people all day long. It's so refreshing to share our stresses, worries, and excitement with people who are doing the same thing, because they know what it is to send out over one hundred pledge cards and only get seven back. I am so very grateful for my friends and family who surround me everyday, but I am also very glad to have these friends that I share this unique bond with.
Now on to the enemies...my gmail account got hacked into yesterday. Sorry by the way if you got some ridiculous link from me, it was not really from me! I managed to change my password and get the thing stopped, but not before it emailed just about everyone I have ever emailed. That left me feeling embarrassed and vulnerable, but it had its good points. Some people emailed me back to say that they got a weird email from me, and it started good conversation. Some people I had not talked to in years! Even though some horrible hacker somewhere was allowing him/herself to be led by greed and deception, God was using the opportunity to reunite me with some old friends. God can turn anything around!

No comments: