27 April 2009

Kingdom Leadership

Our team spent this past weekend at Lake Brownwood Christian Camp participating in the "Kingdom Leadership Module". Those are fancy words for "we spent the weekend together at a camp learning from mentors and working together as a team". These modules are one of the facets of our training through the Halbert Institute for Missions.
When most people think of Christian leadership, they think of the one guy who runs the show. Jesus had a different idea, he wanted to make every person a disciple who leads in one way or another. At the module we had two very wise and wonderful men teach us and guide us in discussion with one another; Gary Green (our team's mentor) and Kent Smith. They did a pretty wonderful job of showing us what true Godly leadership is, and how to encourage its growth in ourselves and others.
I learned a lot throughout the weekend, so I'll try to touch on a few points without sounding too frazzled. I learned more about my teammates, one thing being the way each person thinks satan will try to attack our team when we're in Australia. That might sound strange, but it's good to discuss bad things that might happen so we know what to pray for God to protect us against. I was also reminded of who I am to God. I know that God loves me, but I easily lose sight of the fact that He wants to lavish me with His love. I am valued by God, and each day He is doing things to transform me. The even cooler thing is that this is not just something God has in store for me, but for everyone he has created. Another thing we talked a lot about this weekend was forgiving others. I thought about the fact that God created us to look out for those in need (just look at Jubilee). We were created to get angry when people are mistreated, and to reach out to help them. On the other side of the same coin, when we are mistreated we should forgive those who wronged us and trust God to send us a deliverer. That deliverer might be someone God has called on to help us, or we might have to wait for God to be our final avenger in whatever way He chooses.
I learned a lot more, but I'll end with the point that I think Kent would want us to remember above all; mutual disclosure is the pathway to true intimacy. When we disclose more of ourselves to God, He in turn shows us more of who He is. When that happens, our intimacy with God grows and we find our true identity. When our identity in Christ is made clearer, we become a more Godly leader, and our ability to minister and be a healthy part of genuine, Godly community grows. Wow!

No comments: